The season of Advent will soon be upon us (November 30, 2014) and our lectionary cycle will turn to Year B. This is the year of Mark, when our gospel focus turns to the first gospel written as well as Old Testament themes of the Davidic Covenant and Wisdom literature.
Download AdventChristmas2014 (my updated Advent & Christmas 2014 Ideas, Activities and Resources).
Planning Advent activities for home and church are many. Here are some resources that I recommend for tapping into:
- Table graces for the weeks of Advent and Christmas from Peanut Butter & Jelly Prayers by Julie Sevig. You can download a sample of them here. This makes a great gift also for families for Christmas to use all year long.
- What We Do in Advent by Anne Kitch is a coloring book for children (and adults) that will help everyone get ready for the birth of Jesus.
- Growing Together: Sacred Celebrations for Fall and Winter gives plenty of ideas and activities for this season including making advent wreaths, chrismons, Jesse Tree, Los Posadas, and Epiphany. And it’s downloadable!
- A Thrill of Hope is a DVD and booklet to engage in the scriptures of the birth of Christ along with the beautiful artwork of John August Swanson. Great for an adult forum or advent retreat.
- Follow the lectionary readings with discussion questions at The Prayer Book Guild to Christian Education.
- The Womb of Advent by Mark Bozzuti-Jones offers an devotional about the expectant Mary and how we are all awaiting the birth of newness in our lives each Advent season.
- Living Well Through Advent by Scott Stoner is a daily devotional for 2014 that also has a calendar poster for helping you count down the days (or walk a healthy journey through the season). And there’s an app for your digital device too!