Every spring I update the curriculum overview charts that I’ve been doing for about fifteen years now. Not a whole lot has changed in the below charts (for children or youth) but I have noticed a few changes:
- Most years price increases were typically 50¢ per leader guide, student booklet, or resource pack. In my checking for updates on what have become the “staples” on the list, I saw increases of $1.00 or even more. It is either getting much more expensive to publish curriculum (probably) and/or publishers are needing to increase prices to keep the “bottom line” stable with fewer people purchasing a range of products. (Just my personal observation.)
- Almost all leader guides to curriculum are available as a download and those costs are often the same as the print.
- There were fewer “new” curricular programs making a debut in the past year.
In looking at and using the below updated charts, I steer you back to some of my previous postings on choosing curriculum and processes for evaluating and planning educational programming:
- About the charts – a post from October 2014.
- It’s Planning Season – a post from April 2015 that gives a process for evaluating your program year as well as how to choose a new curriculum
- And The Survey Says . . . – a post from October 2016 that shows what curricula churches are currently using
Lastly – if you are a publisher (denominationally or independently), I do my best to include a wide range of materials within reason. I can’t list every single age level or program within a program on my charts. My attempts are to share those materials that are in keeping with the needs and requests of mainline denominational users.
And before you ask – yes, the Planning Calendar for June 2017 thru June 2018 will soon be available. Stay tuned and sign up to receive a notice every time something is posted here!