Wait no longer––the 2018-2019 Planning Calendar is here. This has become another tradition, and thanks to all of you who have inquired whether I would be offering this again. Below you will find links to download the calendar as a pdf (which will retain the formatting) or a Word (docx) document to be able to type in your own information.
I can always tell when mid-August hits. The peepers are loud outside my windows at night and in the morning my in-box is full of queries: How do I access my curriculum subscription? Do you have a teacher commissioning service? I can’t find your planning calendar. What do you recommend for first communion instruction (with the caveat – “I know, but the parents were raised Catholic.”). The same questions appear year after year and I’ve tried to curate many of those answers within this site.
So here are some links (or documents) in one place to help finalize all those last-minute details as you prepare (or have already begun) to start your Christian education program year. Continue reading Program Year Countdown Resources
It’s that time of year when educators begin evaluating the past program year and start to plan for the next year, beginning in August or September 2017, depending on what part of the country (U.S.) you live in. For some, finishing up plans for summer VBS is underway, others it is time to choose curriculum for next year. In any case, below are updated calendars that you can use that map out the Sundays from June 2017 through August 2018 that give the lectionary readings as well as other events that may correspond to Sundays or during the week. Continue reading 2017-2018 Planning Calendars
You’ve asked and have been waiting … here it is – the Educational Planning Calendar for the academic year of 2016-2017 which begins with the first Sunday in June 2016 (3 Pentecost – Year C) and runs through August 27, 2017 (12 Pentecost – Year A).
Here is how it is laid out: Continue reading Planning Calendar for 2016-2017
All the planning, implementation, and celebrations of Holy Week and Easter Sunday are now a joyful memory, and those of you working in a congregation have hopefully had a quiet week of reflection and rest. But there is no rest for the weary . . . it’s time to begin evaluating this past year and begin planning for the next program year.
A checklist for the coming weeks:
- Collect feedback from volunteer leaders and teachers about what worked and what needs improvement. Plan how you will be recognizing and giving thanks to all those who have given their time and talents this past academic year.
- Begin the discernment process for calling new teachers and volunteers for next year.
- Evaluate the programs and the resources you have been using. Do they need tweaking or refreshment? Poll participants, including children and youth, about what they have found memorable and life-giving over the past nine months.
- Gather a group of parents, teachers, and other leaders together to discuss the curricula you have been using. What has worked? What hasn’t?
- From your evaluation processes, what will your goals be for next year?
- Discern what curricula and program resources can support your goals with a team that represents the ministries and cohorts of your congregation.
Some tools to help in your discernment: Continue reading It’s Planning Season!